Photo Credit: Eric Castanos
Enjoying Morning Chalk Up? Access additional exclusive interviews, analyses, and stories with an Rx membership.
Every summer, fitness brings us together to cheer on the fittest in the world. While in Madison, it’s the perfect opportunity to befriend like-minded individuals from all over the world, meet your favorite athletes, stay on top of your training routine, try a new training camp’s programming, and often even score some free swag or photos.
Simply put: If you were thinking about treating your stay in Wisconsin as a rest weekend, think again — we’ve got your definitive guide to working out at the Games.
Please note that time stamps are in Madison, WI local time (CDT).
CrossFit Big Dane
Address: 813 Post Rd, Madison, WI 53713
HWPO Training is taking over the affiliate all week with opportunities to get coached by Mat Fraser, Chris Hinshaw, Rob Kearney, Scott Panchik, Team Richey, Aimee Everett, the Buttery Bros, and John Singleton. Drop-ins are free courtesy of GOWOD and sign-up ahead of time is required.
- Tuesday 8/2: HWPO Flagship, HWPO 60 and HWPO Sweat (5 classes)
- Plus burger night BBQ with Feeding the Frasers
- Wednesday 8/3: HWPO Sweatshirt (1 class)
- Thursday 8/4: HWPO Sweat and EMOM-40 (2 classes)
- Followed by a pancake breakfast with Podium and Feeding the Frasers
- Friday 8/5: HWPO 60 and HWPO Lift (2 classes)
- Saturday 8/6: EMOM-40 and HWPO Strong (2 classes)
- Sunday 8/7: Members-onlySweat and HWPO Lift (2 classes)
HWPO Lift is the newest program out of the camp (coming later this year) and this week at the Big Dane is your first opportunity to test the programming and meet the new weightlifting coach.
TYR House at CrossFit Connex
Address: 6900 Mangrove Lane, Madison, WI 53713
“It’s hard to watch people work out all day without wanting to get a workout in yourself,” said Jared Graybeal, Underdogs General Manager.
We agree! And to make all your wildest workout dreams come true, TYR is setting the bar high in Madison this year.
They’re hosting a party at CrossFit Connect August 1-7 and you’re invited: free workouts, food trucks, CrossFit celebrity guest coaches, RomWOD sessions and even a final event watch party. And, you’ll be able to try TYR’s new line of footwear, along with snagging exclusive apparel and other perks from the brand who’s really making a name for themselves in the space.
Camps doing full-day takeovers include:
- Tuesday 8/2: Deka Comp
- Wednesday 8/3: Think Tank Training
- Thursday 8/4: Underdog Athletics
- Friday 8/5: Brute Strength
- Saturday 8/6: Assault Triple Three
- Friday 8/5 1-2PM: Lifting Seminar led by Martins Licis
- Saturday 8/6 12-1:30PM: Power Monkey Gymnastics Seminar led by Dave Durante
For the full list of classes, events and guest coaches, check out the graphic below and sign-up here.
CrossFit Recursive Fitness and Nutrition
Address: 600 Williamson St # K2, Madison, WI 53703
Mayhem Nation: Tap in! With the largest presence of any camp in the Semifinals stage of the season, and Rich Froning Jr. leading the team to beat, there’s sure to be demand to go through a classic chipper or get Olympic Lifting help from Coach B. The gym has classes all day long (full schedule linked here), and a Mayhem coach will be leading class:
- 8AM Monday 8/1 through Friday 8/5
- 3PM Monday 8/1 and Tuesday 8/2
- 7:30AM on Saturday 8/6 and Sunday 8/7
Seminars for a hands-on learning experience:
- Tuesday 8/2, 10AM: Improve your Olympic Lifting with Mayhem Burgener Strength coaches Sage Burgener and Mike Burgener
- Thursday, 8/4, 10AM: Improve your Gymnastics with Mayhem Gymnastics w/ Pamela Gagnon
Click here to pay ahead of time; classes and seminars are $25/per (discounted if you pay for more than one up front), and open gym time is also available.
NOBULL Events at Olin Park
Located just across the street from the Alliant Energy Center, Olin Park will also be home to a variety of workouts and community gatherings hosted by NOBULL, accompanied by some of your favorite athletes. There will also be an open air gym and recovery station, with open gym slots every day. Some notable events include:
- Wednesday, 8/3 3-4PM: Community Workout with NOBULL athletes Alec Smith, Sydney Wells, Curt Maggitt, Noelle Lambert and Jarryd Wallace
- Thursday, 8/4 9-10AM: NOBULL Founding Team Workout
- Friday, 8/5 7-8AM: Run Club Lake Run with NOBULL Athlete Curt Maggitt
- Saturday, 8/6
- 6-7AM: Sunrise CrossFit Workout
- 4-5PM: Community Workout with NOBULL athletes Alec Smith, Sydney Wells, Curt Maggitt
Note that event times are subject to change based on the official 2022 NOBULL CrossFit Games competition schedule. To reserve your free spot and view the full list of events, click here.
Rise and Run, hosted by CompTrain
If you’re one of those people who actually enjoys waking up early to run, this one’s for you! CompTrain is hosting a free, open invite 3-mile run through Olin Park. Click here to sign-up ahead of time, and note that the meet-up location and run route is listed on your registration.
4535 Helgesen Drive, Madison, WI 53718
For CompTrain Pro members only:*
- Friday, 8/5 6:15AM
- Saturday, 8/6 6:15AM
*Invitations to CompTrain subscribers were sent via email.
To drop-in to one of Sanctify’s regular CrossFit classes throughout the week, click here.
On-site at Alliant Energy Center
The Assault Fitness Spectator Workout Experience Area, created in partnership with SugarWOD, Rogue and Zen Planner, couldn’t be more convenient if you’re spending the day watching events, and it’s a good idea to check-in to the area when you arrive on-site to secure the time slot you prefer.
At the time of publishing the link is not yet live, but you’ll also be able to sign-up for spots here ahead of time once available. Free classes will be running all day, coached by seminar staff using CrossFit Affiliate Programming (CAP).
Notable events in the Spectator Workout Area include:
- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at 12PM: Workout with an Assault Fitness guest coach
- Wednesday and Thursday at 12PM and Friday and Saturday at 5PM: Workout with an RP Strength guest coach
Mayhem will also be leading Faith RX Workouts in this space at specific times throughout the week:
- Wednesday 8/3 10:15-11:15AM
- Thursday 8/4 9:15-10:15AM
- Friday 8/5 2:15pm-3:15pm
- saturday 8/6 2:15-3:15PM
Several nonprofit organizations will be leading workouts Wednesday through Saturday in Pavilion 2 of the Alliant Energy Center. For more information, stop by the respective booth in sponsor row:
The CrossFit Seminar Staff will lead a workout with breakfast and coffee after for all L1-L4 trainers, with help from guest coaches:
- Wednesday: Kelly Jackson
- Thursday: James Hobart
- Friday: Austin Malleolo
- Saturday: Nicole Christensen
- Sunday: Paul Tremblay
Rogue North Park
You have the opportunity to workout in the same spot where the competitors throw down during the weekend! A sure-to-be unforgettable fitness experience will take place 10:45-11:45AM on Sunday, August 7 and is limited to the first 300 athletes.
Writer’s note: With thousands of fans flocking to Madison, all with similar goals of working out and meeting awesome people, please practice good drop-in etiquette.
Best Practices for Dropping In During Games Week
- Reach out to the gym you wish to visit ahead of time letting them know the date and class time you want to drop-in
- Check online to see if you can fill out the gym’s waiver before your workout
- walk-in at least 10 minutes prior to the class start time – add some cushion to find parking
- Assume there is a drop-in fee and prepare payment (usually $20-$35)
- Tag the gym/training camp if you post on social media
- Most classes or seminars will fill up and require sign-up in advance, so get your name on the list early and ask the gym owner for alternative options ahead of time if needed, rather than just showing up.
And above all: Get involved, work hard, high-five your workout buddies and have fun!